Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Little Taste of Autumn

What a bittersweet last few days we have had here in Texas.  We have been in a major drought which has caused everything to dry up and shrivel. (Including my skin: I have gone through a few bottles of lotion just this summer!)

A much deserved and well needed cold-front blew in on Sunday and has given us all a little bit of hope that the dog days of summer are FINALLY coming to an end.  I don't know about you, but I would be alright if I never saw the temperatures reach 100+ degrees again.  Unfortunately though, with the beautiful cold-front came a lot of wind; and with this terrible drought, trees and brush caught fire and quickly spread across central Texas and Magnolia.

Below is an article to give you an idea of the tragic magnitude of devastation these fires caused in Bastrop:
http://news.yahoo.com/texas-fires-kill-4-destroy-more-1-000-230345872.html

Below is an article to give you an idea of the devastation these fires caused in Magnolia:
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Worst-Fires-on-Record-Ravage-Texas-129366213.html

I feel for all of the families and animals that are suffering without a home right now, the firefighters that are putting their lives in danger to control these fires, and pray that we get some rain here soon!

BUT... since I don't like to talk about sad things for very long, I would like to talk about the positive things these past three days have brought me.

I <3 <3 <3 <3 FALL
Did I mention that it is my favorite season of the year, and I usually start preparing for it before it even starts? (i.e. NOW)  I am sure you are probably thinking, "BUT YOU DON'T EVEN GET TO SEE THE CHANGING OF THE LEAVES, COOLER WEATHER, ETC. ETC." and I would say, "But, I DO get to see the changing of the leaves (for like one day) and anything lower than 100 degrees gives me FALL hope!"

I am starting to get so excited. I love everything about AUTUMN! The weather, the food, the scents, football, etc., etc., etc.!

Below is a note I wrote on Facebook last year just before Autumn began. This year, the excitement of Autumn hit me two weeks earlier than it did last year.  I believe last year was a little more appropriate as it was the first day of Fall, but what's two weeks anyway?   I added 2011 comments to it in BOLD.


Top 20 Reasons Why I Love the Fall...

by Lindsay Barnes on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 at 2:58pm
Top 20+1 Things I Love a/b Fall in no particular order:
1. Pumpkin Spice Candles lit the entire time I am at home
2. My Anniversary--I can't believe it has almost been a year already! (Love you Andrew Barnes!)   ...NOW ALMOST TWO YEARS!
3. Changing of colors in leaves
4. First Cold Front
5. Leaving the window/doors open all day
6. Running outdoors enjoying the new scenery and listening to the leaves crunching as I step on them
7. Smell of pie or bread baking in the oven
8. The anticipation of the upcoming holiday season
9. Football
10. Cozying up by a warm fire
11. Bubble Baths, completely justified
12. Fall Festivals
13. 2 Words: Candy Corn
14. Hot Mulled Cider, Hot Chocolate and Starbuck's Chai Tea Lattes (WHICH I AM WAITING FOR THE FIRST REAL COLD FRONT TO HAVE AGAIN)
15. Fall Decorations
16. Extra Hour (Sleeping in!)
17. Cute Wooly Socks
18. Rosy Cheeks after being outside
19. Family Time
20. Soups and Stews
21. COMING HOME TO A HOME COOKED MEAL IN MY NEW SLOW-COOKER WITH SMELLS FILLING THE ENTIRE HOUSE 
(Can you tell its my favorite season!!??) One more day... What are some of your favorite things about Fall?


SO TELL ME: What are some of your favorite things about Fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment